Baked plantains, sweet potatoes,cheese, eggs,spices, and vegetables..breakfast is calling!!!! Do something new and healthy with those plantains and/or sweet potatoes in your pantry;this dish is quite tasteful and makes a great breakfast option for a Saturday morning especially for anyone with kids.
If you been following our blog for a while, then you would know that I love eggs a lot. So, some days ago I decided to spice things up and instead of just making a typical frittata with Irish potatoes, I decided to Africanize things a bit. I combined 2 very Nigerian ingredients (plantains and sweet potatoes) to the other frittata ingredients and it turned out TASTEFULLY GREAT:)
I call this an Afri-Talian fusion recipe; the combination of flavors makes this dish a winner, and it leaves a lingering taste.I got some of friends to try it at choir practice and they loved it. I hope you enjoy making it and eating it as well. It is quite easy to make but requires a bit of time; It is also quite healthy and you do not have to put the cheese. It is also a great breakfast dish and is a child-friendly recipe.
FRITTATA: an egg-based Italian dish resembling a flat thick omelette.To make a frittata, beaten eggs are cooked briefly in a hot skillet along with other ingredients such as onions, spinach, bacon and/or potatoes, and then topped with cheese and finished in the oven. When cooked in a round skillet, the frittata is then typically sliced into wedge-shaped portions for serving.
Recipe level: Easy
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking.Baking time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Meal type: Main course
Meal time: Breakfast
Recipe author: Kauna Kitchen
- 1 ripe plantain
- 1 small sweet potato
- 3 large eggs
- 1 small tomato,diced
- ½ medium onion,diced
- ½ bell pepper (red,yellow,green, or orange), stem, ribs, and seeds removed, then diced
- Curry, salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 seasoning cube, maggi or knorr
- 1 tablespoon parmeasan or feta cheese, optional
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs (dill,parsley, or basil)
- 1 fruit (kiwi,avocado,strawberries etc.)
- Baking pan or foil pan
- Oven safe bowl. glass or porcelain
- Using a sharp knife remove the plantain skin. Slice plantain into desired shape and size
- Peel the skin of the sweet potato; chop into small cubes
- Coat the plantain slices with 1 tablespoon of oil, Place in a lightly buttered or oiled baking pan or foil dish and bake for about 15-20 minutes at 350C or until the plantains are lightly browned.
- Boil the sweet potato cubes for 10-12 minutes. (Do not overcook them since you will still be baking them in the oven)
- While the plantains are baking and the sweet potato cubes are boiling ,break the eggs into a bowl, add the chopped onions, tomatoes,dill,bell pepper,seasoning cube,salt,pepper, and curry.Mix everything together properly.
- Once the plantains are baked and the potatoes have boiled,pour the egg mixture into a slightly buttered oven safe bowl. Add the potatoes,and some plantain pieces into the egg mixture. Then top the mixture with the remaining plantain pieces; arrange them as you desire.
- Then place the bowl into an oven; bake at 350c for about 30-35 minutes; or until the mix is firm in the center. (You can check the frittata using a toothpick;stick it into the center of the frittata and if it comes out dry, then the frittata is ready)
THINGS TO NOTE
- If you do not have enough time and patience to bake the plantains, then you could boil then for about 7-10 minutes before adding to the egg mixture.
- Do not let the frittata bake for too long so that way the egg mix will be still moist and tender rather than tough and stringy;once the toothpick comes out dry,take the frittata out of the oven.
- You could make a plantain frittata without the sweet potatoes. It still tastes as nice.