So, thank God that winter is finally over and Spring is here:) I can’t wait to put away all my winter paraphernalia and embrace the warm weather. So, to say welcome to Spring, I made this totally tasty soup “Coconut-Line Chicken soup”. I’m sure the idea of coconut and lime in a soup sounds bizzare to you, just as I had thought when I first saw the soup on the menu list in an Asian restaurant (they had it with shrimp instead of chicken), well,you would be as wrong as I was after I tasted the soup for myself. So, I decided to go a step further and make the soup and I am so glad I did. I also found a recipe in one of my cookbooks. The fusion of the sweetness from the coconut milk and the zing from the lime juice really gives this soup an interesting and pleasure evoking flavour.
For my blog family and friends back in Nigeria…Yes, you can make this soup, because you can find all the ingredients listed below in the market or supermarkets like Amigo, ShopRite etc. In fact you have a better advantage getting fresh coconut milk since the African tropical climate favours the growth of coconut trees. However,we in the northern hemisphere, have to make do with canned coconut milk ( not the most healthy option) or make our coconut milk on those rare occasions that we find a fresh coconut.(I will be putting up a post on how to make your own coconut milk in the future). This soup is really easy to make and quite healthy especially when using fresh coconut milk.
So here is my modified version of the coconut-lime soup:
- 1-2 chicken breasts/thighs etc. ( the chicken should have been spiced and prepared in advance, e.g. grilled,baked,fried,roasted, or boiled). I used fried chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk (freshly made or canned)
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 cup lime juice (1 medium lime)
- 1 large carrot
- 1/4 cup fresh/ dry herbs e.g. parsley,coriander,basil, etc. (optional)
- 2 lime wedges (optional)
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 seasoning cube/powder (chicken, vegetables, mushrooms etc.) use any brand of your choice, I used the Aurora brand mushroom seasoning cube)
- Some salt
- Remove and discard the skin and bones from your chicken (if any). Shred the chicken
- Slice your carrot diagnoally into thin pieces
- In a saucepan, combine the shredded chicken with coconut milk, water, lime juice, sliced carrots, soy sauce,seasoning cube/powder, and salt\
- Once the soup begins boiling reduce the heat and let it simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes or until the carrots are tender enough for you. I like my carrots a bit crunchier.
- Serve your soup with your lime wedges( the wedges are added into the soup just give it some extra citrus flavor, they are not meant to be consumed)
- You can also make this soup with seafood (shrimps,crab meat etc.) instead of chicken