Rice pudding is one of those desserts that’s really simple and easy to make, yet it tastes really good. It’s what you would call a “comfort dessert”. However when paired with coconut milk, the recipe moves a step higher on the delectable scale.
If you don’t have homemade coconut milk then you can opt for canned coconut milk as well.I prefer mine warm but you can also chill it in the fridge and have it as a cold dessert. If you don’t have condensed milk then just substitute with a bit more sugar and more milk.
I have tried this 2 ways and I enjoyed both; with nuts and then with fruits ( At least I could say my dessert was somewhat bordering on the healthy dessert scale ;).
For our Nigerian based blog family, you can use the rice Hausa’s call “tuwo” but if it’s not really available to you, you can buy jasmine rice from supermarkets or just use long grain rice.
Enjoy and please share your reviews and feedback.
Recipe level: Easy
Preparation time: 25minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Meal type: Dessert/Pudding
Meal time: Anytime
- 1 cup of cooked rice (short grain rice) e.g. jasmine rice or tuwo rice.
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of sugar (optional)
- A handful of chopped fruits or nuts
- A handful of toasted coconut flakes
- Wash rice thorougly and cook in water till done or cook your rice according to package directions.
- In a medium sized pot on low heat, pour the coconut milk, condensed milk, sugar, and cooked rice; stir and simmer on low heat till all the milk is absorbed by the rice.
- Prepare your garnish for the pudding e.g. chop fruits, toast coconut flakes in pan, or use nuts.
- Take rice of off the stove and serve as a hot dessert with fruits or/and nuts or as a cold dessert after cooling in the fridge for some minutes.You can add some more milk for a thinner consistency.