Semolina pudding used to be one of my favorite meals growing up; it was always a welcome choice over the final semolina product-a.k.a semolina swallow. So I was very eager to offer it as a dessert suggestion for this Christmas.
To take it up a notch, I made it with coconut milk and added some zobo sauce to go with it. Here’s the recipe for zobo sauce but If you don’t have the time to make the sauce, feel free to use other tart jams like strawberry, raspberry etc. This pudding treats you tastebuds like royalty; the velvelty texture is well received alongside the blend of sweet and tart flavours.
I wanted presentation that was worthy of the pudding, hence my choice of plating. However, if you dont have that much time on your hands, just plate the pudding in a bowl and top with your zobo sauce or jam.
Recipe level: Easy
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Meal type: Dessert, Pudding
Meal time: Brekfast, Lunch or Dinner
- 2 cups/500 ml coconut milk
- 1/3 cup semolina
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup zobo sauce or your favorite jam
- Heat up coconut milk in a pot on medium heat; remove from heat onces it comes to a boil. (It boils fast so you need to keep a close watch).
- Slowly pour in semolina to hot milk off the stove; stirring in fast to prevent lumps from forming. Add vanilla essence, sugar and nutmeg.
- Stir until it thickens, you can eat it while its still hot or when its cold, it still tastes good. It will thicken very quickly, it should still be liquid enough to flow into a bowl
- Serve in a bowl and top with zobo sauce or jam, or make alternate layers of pudding and jam for an aesthetic presentation.