This mashed Coconut Sweet Potatoes are another level of deliciousness. I have had mashed sweet potatoes in the past with other spices and cream; courtesy cooking school. So one fateful day, I decided to try out my own recipe; I didn’t have milk in the fridge but I had some coconut milk so I decided to substitute that for cream/cow milk.
It turned out delicious, the mellow flavour of the coconut milk and the sweetness of the potatoes blend so well together. This side dish can be enjoyed with a simple sauce or stew like Nigerian Tomato Stew or a simple stir fry veggie sauce.
And for parents, this is something a very attractive baby and child friendly recipe. You can use any kind of sweet potato but I prefer the white fleshed sweet potatoes; the orange fleshed one falls apart too easily.
Enjoy making this and share your feedback.
- 2 large size sweet potatoes
- I/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh or dry ginger, optional
- 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- In a medium sized pot boil the potatoes, (I boil mine with the skin on, I feel it’s easier and much faster to take off the skin after boiling) till they are soft enough or till a fork passes through easily.
- Take off potato skins (you don’t need to do this if you already took the skin off before boiling them; in a medium sized bowl place potatoes, spices, oil and milk.
- Using a fork or potato masher; mash the potatoes till you get your desired softness; I enjoy having a few chunks in mine. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Serve with your favourite sauce; since the mash is sweet; it will pair well with a spicy sauce like tomato stew or beef sauce.