I love making salads with different ombinations and I particularly enjoy the fruit and vegetable combination. Recently I combined an apple with some vegetables in my fridge and thus came about this easy but amazing salad recipe that I’m sharing with you today.
My husband who avoids vegetables on his plate like a plague actually went searching for leftovers of this salad in the fridge. My brother-in-law as well finished the entire portion on his plate. I recently made it for some friends in hosted this week and they emptied the bowl as well.
I don’t know what exactly people lover about it; but I think the cool taste of the fresh cucumbers really pairs well with the sweetness of the apples. The juices of the vegetables all mix well together such that you can have it with olive oil just alone.
So I encourage you to try out this recipe as well.You can use whatever salad dressing you prefer, but I used an Italian salad dressing (simply a mix of olive oil and Italian herbs). It’s a salad recipe that can be eaten just on it’s own or had with rice or pasta. Enjoy.
Recipe level: Easy
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Meal type: Salad, Side Dish
Meal time: Anytime
Recipe Source: ..Kauna Kitchen
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 small apple or pear
- 1 small tomato
- 1 tablespoon of chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of lemon or lime juice or white wine vinegar
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Nuts, for garnish, optional
- Salad dressing of your choice
- Cut the cucumbers into presentable pieces ( diced or sliced ); cut the apples and tomatoes into small cubes as well.
- Combine the chopped cucumber,apple,tomato, and onions; Add the salad dressing and mix properly.
- Cool in the fridge for some minutes and serve immediately.Garnish with nuts e.g.almonds, peanuts etc.
THINGS TO NOTE ABOUT THIS RECIPE
- You can use pears in place of apples.
- If the apples and cucumbers are waxed then you might prefer taking off the skins.
- If you aren’t serving the salad immediately; cut the apples/pears just when you’re about to serve OR add some drops of lemon juice to the already cut pieces to keep them from turning colour quickly.
- You can have the salad with just a ftuit oil like olive,coconut, or avocado and fresh herbs like scent leaf, mint, basil, coriander etc.The combination of vegetables and fruit are tasty enough without any spice.