Hi guys, I apologize for my long absence from the blog. I am presently in Nigeria and I will be here till August God willing. I didn’t have access to the internet and my laptop was acting shady, but thank God everything is back to sorta normal for now. My dear husband just set up the internet at home and my friend Eddy helped out with my laptop drama (though he claims that he didn’t do much), so I am finally able to get back on the blog. I have so many things to share with you all; recipes, restaurant reviews, and some of my recent activities. Look forward to more in the coming days 🙂
I am very excited to share today’s recipe with you because it features a new way of eating a common Nigerian carbonhydrate, “the sweet potato”. A friend of mine made something similar at my place when I had very little in my kitchen at the time. I promised myself that I would replicate that dish and finally after about a year, I made it.
I love this recipe because of it is very easy to make and is full of flavour.I hope you enjoy it as I did.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 carrots, cleaned and cut into chunks
- ½ of a small onion, finely diced
- 4 slices of any hot pepper
- 2 tablespoons curry
- 1 seasoning cube, Knorr or Maggi
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- A chunk of ginger, minced
- 3-4 cups of water or chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon of fresh herbs, e.g. rosemary,basil or scent leaf etc.
- In a medium sized pot; saute the onions in the oil for about 3 minutes or until they are translucent.
- Add the ginger,garlic,pepper,and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the water or broth, seasoning cube, and curry and bring to the boil; add the sweet potato and boil on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the carrots and fresh herbs, boil for another 10 minutes.Turn off the heat and let the soup cool.
- Pour the cooled soup into a blender and blend for about 1 minute or until the blend is smooth without chunks
- Pour the mix back into the pot and heat if up for about 2 minutes
- Serve alone or with your favourite bread.