Gingerbread cookies for dessert:)
I learnt this recipe from a dear friend of mine, she loves to cook and would often make these cookies and send them to her grandchildren whenever her daughter came to visit. One time, she actually mailed the cookies to them in a box; that was how much they loved their grandma’s cookies. Well, I was always fortunate to have my share whenever I was around and they were really good. She finally taught me how to make them and I guess i was no longer shortening her grandchildren’s ration once I had learned to make them for myself.
I am glad at the outcome of my recipe, but I will never turn down an opportunity to have my friend Boba’s cookies. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
Yields: 28 medium sized cookies
Recipe level: Easy
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Meal type: Dessert or Snack
Meal time: Anytime
- 3 cups of flour
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup of sugar
- 4 tablespoons of honey
- 3 whole eggs
- 1-2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
- 1 -2 flat rectangular baking pans, slightly buttered with some flour sprinkling
- Gingerbread man cookie cutters
- Medium sized bowl
- Rolling stick and board or kitchen counter
- Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the eggs,sugar, honey, butter, baking powder, and spices together; using clean hands or a whisker; mix properly.
- Add the flour and mix again till it is well incorporated
- Then, cut out a handful of the cookie dough; using a rolling stick and a well floured board or kitchen counter, roll the cookie dough into a flat circle. Using the cookie cutter, press into the dough and cut out as many gingerbread cookie shapes that you can.; place into baking pan.Repeat this process till the dough is finished
- Bake the cookies at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 12-15 minutes. (Please check the cookies halfway through to ensure that they do not burn at the bottom)
- Serve with a cold or hot drink of your choice or store in an airtight container till you are ready to eat them.