Nigerian Coconut Rice…so simple yet it does wonders to the taste buds. The fragrant smell of the coconut aroma as it wafts through air and hits your nostrils…( I can’t wait to have the leftovers of my coconut rice meal tomorrow).
Coconut rice is quite easy to make and tastes even better when prepared with fresh coconut milk. Nigerians have different recipes for making coconut rice, but no matter the recipe used, the flavour of the coconut milk should always stand out in your dish. You could also add diced vegetables if you so desire, but I prefer to keep my coconut rice simple. In fact, my favorite restaurant to eat coconut rice is Jevenik Restaurant in Abuja; their coconut rice is really tasty and their portions are large as well.I’m looking forward to my next trip to Abuja and I’ll definitely be eating there again.
Be the way I used fresh/homemade coconut milk for this recipe so I you would like to learn how to make coconut milk at home here’s the link on homemade coconut milk. It is really easy and is a healthier option.
So here’s my coconut rice recipe:
Recipe level: Easy
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Meal type: Main course
Meal time: Lunch or Dinner
- 2 cups of rice
- 2 cups of fresh homemade coconut milk (you can use canned coconut milk as well)
- 1-2 cups of chicken or beef stock
- 2 tablespoons of dry ground crayfish
- 1/2 an onion (finely diced)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut, vegetable, or canola oil
- 2 seasoning cubes (knorr or maggi)
- Salt, to taste
- 4-6 scent leaves/basil
- 1/2 cup of green peas or long beans, optional
- 1/4 of a scotch bonnet pepper/atarodo, very optional
- Wash your rice thoroughly and then parboil it in a medium sized pot with some water for 10 minutes
- After parboiling the rice, wash it with some cold water; drain and set aside
- On medium heat, heat the oil in a medium sized pot; then add the diced onions and peppers. Saute the onions and pepper for about 2 minutes (the onions should still retain their colour and not turn brown).Add the fresh scent leaves and sauté for 1 min.
- Then add the beef or chicken stock,coconut milk, and seasoning cubes to the sauteed onions and pepper and bring to the boil.
- Once the sauce starts boiling, add the parboiled rice; cover the pot and cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until the rice is well cooked/ (Check your rice occasionally to ensure it does not burn and add extra stock or broth if needed)
- Once the rice is done serve with any side dish and meat of your choice.