We Nigerians love our soups and the White or Native Okra soup is another popular Nigerian soup that can be eaten with eba, amala, fufu, pounded yam and other swallow. Sometimes I just love to drink the soup. Though I do not make it often, I do enjoy this dish especially when the okras are still crispy and there’s a good amount of pepper in it.
Unlike the Red okra soup, the White okra soup also known as “Native Okra” soup is made without any palm oil or stew, so it is a healthier variation and also has a different taste. It is really easy to make and you can put any protein of your choice.My mum makes a tasty version of this soup and I got my recipe from her. It’s a really easy and quick soup to make especially if you’re tired and are looking to spend less time in the kitchen but still create something tasty, this recipe will come in handy. Enjoy
Recipe level: Medium
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Meal type: Side Dish
Meal time: Anytime
- 30-40 medium sized okras (finely chopped or grated)
- 10-12 cooked beef pieces (or chicken, goat, turkey etc.)
- 4-6 tablespoons whole or dry crayfish
- 1 small onion
- 3 1/2 cups water or beef or chicken broth
- 1 small dryfish or stockfish (cleaned, deboned, and cut into chunks)
- 1 seasoning cube, maggi or knorr
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dry pepper
If you really want to add some extra nutrients then feel free to add 1 cup fresh green leaves (bitterleaf, efo, ugwu, spinach, kale etc.) (washed and finely sliced).However, I prefer it without leaves most times.
- Chop the okra pieces into small dice or grate with a grater.
- In a blender, combine the crayfish, onion, hot pepper, and 1/2 cup of water.Blend for 1 minute or until the puree is smooth.
- In a medium sized pot combine the crayfish puree, 2 cups broth or water, dryfish/stockfish ,salt and pepper.Boil over medium heat for about 10 minutes
- In a separate pot, add 1/2 cup water and the okra.Boil until the okra starts to bubble. To increase the slime of the okra, use a spoon to lightly whisk or beat the okra till you gain your desired consistency
- Add the okra and (fresh green leaves, if using ) to the boiling pot contents.Reduce the heat and let soup simmer for about 2 minutes ; then serve
You can drink the soup just as it is or serve with swallows like eba, pounded yam, wheat, semolina etc.