Very often, I try out some of the recipes in my cookbooks, and this particular recipe was gotten from my “Real Simple” cookbook (a birthday gift from my cell family,love you guys;).It is a tasty small chop/appetizer.
Culinary word for the day:SKEWER: a long wooden/metal rod/stick for inserting through meat or other food to hold or bind it in cooking. A kabob/kebab is the actual meat used.Its like a long toothpick that is sharp on one edge and blunt on the other.
I love this small chop recipe because the ingredients are easy to come by (whether you are living abroad or in Nigeria), it is easy and quick to prepare, and can be easily adapted. I had to give my sister the recipe on bbm just this morning and it didn’t take that much time to write. It is a simple and tasty appetizer/small chop and is something you can serve guests as a snack with an extra side of crackers or nuts and a drink on the side.
- 1/2 cup roasted nuts of your choice e.g. groundnuts/peanuts.cashews,almonds,pecans etc. (I used peanuts for this recipe)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (buy the breadcrumbs or make your own, I will put up in a post on “how to make breadcrumbs” very soon)
- 2 tbspns chopped fresh herb such as cilantro/coriander, basil, or parsley (For those in Nigeria,basil is the English name for scent leaf which we put in peppersoup)
- 1 chicken part eg. breasts (thats what I used for this recipe), thighs, legs, etc (You need the meat not the bones)
- 4-6 tbspns canola/olive oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or alfredo sauce
- 1-2 tspns chilli garlic sauce or any sauce of your choice
- Salt and pepper
- Minced garlic and ginger
- Soak 10-12 wooden skewers in water for 10 minutes
- Cut your chicken breast crosswise into 10-12 thin strips
- Chop with a knife or pound your nuts in a little mortar and pestle
- In a large plate,I mixed together the chopped peanuts and parsley,breadcrumbs, minced garlic and ginger,and 1/4 tspn of salt and black pepper
- I threaded each chicken strip onto a skewer and coated with my peanut mixture. Holding the skewer press gently to help the mixture stick to the chicken strip
- If you want a healthier option, then coat your chicken strips with some olive oil or margarine and bake/grill them in the oven for about 10-15 minutes or until they are cooked and slightly browned on the outside
- If you are frying, then heat your oil in a large non-stick frying pan. In batches, cook the skewers until golden,2 to 3 minutes per side, adding more oil as necessary;transfer to a plate
- In a small bowl, I combined my mayonnaise (I used the Hellmans’s brand) and chilli garlic sauce and served with the chicken skewers.
Try out this simple recipe and let us know how it goes
THINGS TO NOTE
- The uncooked chicken skewers can be prepared, wrapped in foil in a sealed ziploc bag and frozen up to a week before you cook them.Bring them out to thaw the night before you cook them.
- The reason for soaking wooden skewers is to prevent them from burning when you grill or fry your kebabs
- You could also chop up the chicken into 1 inch cubes instead of long strips, but these might require more time to coat with your nut mixture
- While you are soaking the bamboo skewers in water, you can prepare the other ingredients to save time.