Nugwa, fondly called “Poo” by your truly enjoys trying out new recipes. She is always eager to create new and healthy recipes. She may not spend an excess amount of time in the kitchen; but I always look forward to the times when she does because her food is always tasty;)
Hi guys, today’s post is by one of our guest food bloggers, Nugwa, who happens to be my adorably fashionable sister and partner in crime. On her last visit to my place she made scotch eggs for the first time and we enjoyed them. I am yet to make scotch eggs but they are one of the snacks I love… because of the eggs; if you have been following our blog for a while, then you will know that I really loooooooove eggs. They and doughnuts are one of the reasons I still patronize the Mr. Biggs outfit in Nigeria.
So if you are up to the task, why don’t you make your own scotch eggs in the comfort of your kitchen. Get creative and add whatever spices you desire to the coating and enjoy your homemade scotch egg.
Recipe level: Easy
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Meal type: Snack, Appetizer,Small Chop
Meal time: Anytime
- 6 hardboiled eggs (shells removed)
- 1 raw egg for coating (mixed properly)
- 6 sausages (you can use chicken or beef)
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 cups of breadcrumbs
- I seasoning cube e.g. Knorr or Maggi
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Oil, for deep frying (2-3cups)
- Remove the lining around all the sausages; mash the sausages and add the spices;mix properly. (About 1 sausage to 1 egg)
- Mould the sausage around the egg; dip into the raw egg mixture; dip and coat with the flour and finally with the bread crumbs. (Repeat this process for each egg)
- Fry the scotch eggs in oil on medium heat till the coating is crisp and dark brown on the outside for about 3-4 minutes ; frying on medium heat allows the sausage to cook properly.
- Serve with a sauce or a cold drink