ORANGE FRUIT PROFILE
Origin & Description
The sweet orange is a citrus fruit with a shiny exterior. It can be green, yellow, orange, or a combination of the named colours depending on ripeness or country of origin.Orange trees are widely grown in tropical and subtropical climates for their sweet fruit.The fruit of the orange tree can be eaten fresh, or processed for its juice or fragrant peel.
Some of the top Orange producing countries include Brazil, USA, China & India.
There are 4 main types of sweet oranges: Common, Blood, Navel, & Acid-less.
Juice & Juice Yield
- 6 to 8 ounces per pound of oranges
- Fresh orange juice contains many nourishing elements including: large amounts of vitamin A & C, lesser amounts of vitamin B1, B2, B6,E, & K; folic acid, and 11 amino acids. It’s also rich in minerals like calcium, chlorine, copper, flourine, iron, manganese, magnesium, phosphorous, pottasium, silicon, and Zinc.
Suggested Daily Intake
3 to 4 cups per week (A cup is 8 ounces/250ml)
The different lemon parts are used for a variety of culinary purposes:
- Orange juice is used to make smoothies, tea, and soft drinks.
- Orange slices and rind are used as a garnish for food and drinks.
- Orange juice and zest, the grated outer rind of the fruit, is used to add flavor to baked goods, puddings, rice, and other dishes.
- Orange slices and rind are widely used in fruit salads and various meat and vegetable dishes to add citrus flavor.
FEATURED RECIPES FOR ORANGES
- Orange Banana Smoothie
- Orange Thyme Turkey
- Orange Basil Marinade
- Orange Basil Chicken
- Orange Shortbread Cookies
7 Orange Health Benefits
Here are 7 reasons to oranges to your diet:
Note: drink juice in moderate amounts. The high sugar content of fruit juices can cause tooth decay and the high acid content can wear away enamel if consumed in excess
- Maintain Blood Pressure: Orange juice contains a significant amount of magnesium which has a wonderful ability to bring back the disturbed blood pressure level to normal range.
- Skin Health: Vitamin C in orange juice helps to fight skin damage caused by the sun and pollution, reduce wrinkles and improve overall skin texture. It plays a vital role in the formation of collagen, the support system of your skin.
- Prevents Kidney Stones:The risks of formation of kidney stones can be reduced by taking one serving of orange juice on regularly. Too much concentration of minerals and chemicals usually result as the development of kidney stones. Orange juice contains citrate, which has an excellent ability to prevent this disorder by decreasing the urine acidity.
- Promote Eye Health: Oranges are rich in carotenoid compounds which are converted to vitamin A and help prevent macular degeneration.
- Lower Disease Risk: As a rich source of Vitamin C orange juice helps protects blood cells by neutralizing free radicals which cause chronic diseases like cancer and heart diseases.
- Lower Cholesterol : Orange juice is full of soluble fiber which helps to lower cholesterol.
- Constipation Relief: Oranges are full of dietary fiber which stimulates digestive juices and relieves constipation.
- Blood Disorders
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Liver & Lung disorders
- Pneumonia, Pyorrhea
- Skin Disorders
- Weight Loss