PAWPAW FRUIT PROFILE
Origin & Description
Pawpaw fruit also known as papaya (Scientific name: carica papaya) is a medium to large pear shaped berry fruit. It is a sweet juicy fruit with a hard exterior and soft pink or orange flesh inside. Ripe pawpaws have outer flesh that have a deep gold orange or yellow colour and feel soft (not mushy) when touched. The papaya tree on which pawpaw grows is native to Mexico but is now grown and cultivated in many other tropical regions including Ghana and Nigeria..
Th e 2 major pawpaw types are Mexican & Hawaiian but they are over 10 other varieties.
1 to 3 ounces per pound
The orange or pink flesh of pawpaw is used for a variety of culinary purposes:
- Flesh is cut up and used in various salads and desserts.
- The flesh can be pureed and used to make sauces, chutneys and even in baked goods.
- Pawpaw flesh can also be used in making smoothies, ice creams, and jams
- Green pawpaw can be grated and used as a meat tenderizer, marinade, or pickled.
- Pawpaw seeds ate usually discarded but the can be dried, ground, and used as a peppery spice for seasoning.
FEATURED RECIPES FOR PAWPAW
Pawpaw Health Benefits
Pawpaw which is a low calorie and low-fat fruit that supplies several key vitamins and minerals such as fiber and vitamin C., here a 5 benefits:
- Healthy eyes: pawpaw is rich in Vitamin A and flavonoids like beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, cyptoxanthin and lutein which keep the mucus membranes in the eyes healthy, preventing them from damage. Vitamin A also prevents the development of age-related macular degeneration
- Aids digestion: pawpaw has a digestive enzyme known as papain along with fibre which helps improve your digestive health. It is particularly effective for constipation relief.
- Hair health and growth: Eating pawpaw promotes healthy hair.. Vitamin A in them help sebum production, a compound that is crucial for keeping the hair smooth, shiny and moisturised. The nutrients present in them help hair loss. They boost hair growth and strengthening.
- Builds immunity: A strong immune system ensures a healthy you. One pawpaw fruit can meet more than 200% of your daily requirement of Vitamin C, making it great to build a stronger immune system.
- Lowers cholestorol: rich in fibre, vitamin C and antioxidants, pawpaw prevents cholesterol build up in your arteries. Too much cholesterol build-up can block the arteries completely, causing a heart attack.
Suggested Daily Intake
- Blood Disorders
- Heart disease
- Kidney disorders
- Liver disorders
- Weight Loss.