I learnt this recipe while I was on my hotel internship for cooking school. I fell in love with it; the onions especially give it a beautiful flavor; the sugar released from the onion caramelization in the oven adds an extra sweetness to the mix of garlic and basil.
It’s healthy, and really tasty. Enjoy making it.
Recipe level: Easy
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 to 60 minutes
Total time: 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes
Meal type: Side Dish
Meal time: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner
- 10-12 medium potatoes
- 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons vegetable oil or other cooking fat
- 1 large purple onion
- 4 tsp salt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks of fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp pepper
- Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your taste.
- Prepare the potato marinade; finely slice the onions and basil leaves; mince or crush the garlic cloves. Combine the oil, chopped basil, and minced garlic; set aside. This will allow the oil take in the flavours of the garlic and basil.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces (I don’t peel mine) and put them in your baking pan or sheet.
- Pour the garlic-basil oil over the potatoes; add the sliced onions, salt, and pepper. Mix the potatoes thoroughly to ensure they are properly coated with the oil.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until GBD (golden, brown and delicious).
- Enjoy alone or serve with a protein dish like this baked scentleaf lemon tilapia dish